Once again, here is the music I added to my collection this past season, acclimating myself to it via having a big playlist of just the new stuff. Managed to find passable videos for just about all of them. And I'm kind of proud of the weird eclectic nature of it...
A song that deserves to be more well known:
Random songs from my past, recently remembered:
- Ha-he (Just a Band (Kenya))
- One of the more obscure choices, I heard of this on cracked.com's 6 Insane Foreign Memes That Put Lolcats To Shame
Songs introduced to me from movie soundtracks, or tv shows...
- Three Hits (Live From Eddie's Attic, Atlanta, GA) (Indigo Girls)
- Had this one for a while but not on my playlists... heard it again, realized it's great.
- Praise You [Explicit] (Fatboy Slim)
- Another "oldie" but goodie.
- Superstar (The Alan Caddy Orchestra and Singers)
- Remembering how my (usually black techno digging) college roommate had a thing for the Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack.
- What's the Buzz (The Alan Caddy Orchestra and Singers)
- iTunes has dozens of near identical versions of Jesus Christ Superstar versions.
- A Summer Song (Chad & Jeremy)
- This was on an old McDonalds promotional mixtape ("Shake Burgers and Fries"? Wish I could find the tracklist) I remember facetiously quoting
they say that all good things must end someday in a melodramtic way around my high school graduation.
autumn leaves must fall
but don't you know
how it hurts me so
to say goodbye to you
- Bang on the Drum All Day (Todd Rundgren)
- This was like a staple of WMJI in the late 80s.
- Sunny Came Home (Shawn Colvin)
- I think Amber had this one. This was all over the gym I was going to in 1997.
- Punk Rock Girl (Album Version) (The Dead Milkmen)
- Vaguely remember this from high school. Maybe college.
- Theme From "Shaft" (Isaac Hayes)
- I mostly remember my high school jazz band covering this song.
Songs introduced to me by friends:
- Milkshake (Album Version) (Kelis)
- "Mean Girls".
- Threshold (8 Bit) (Brian Lebarton)
- Scott Pilgrim soundtrack, nice-NES-era chiptunage.
- I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye)
- Big Chill Soundtrack
- Good Lovin' (Single Version) (The Young Rascals)
- Big Chill again I think.
- Take A Chance On Me (Abba)
- Such a catchy still fresh sounding song, but it took this scene from the Office to remind me of it.
And the rest, mostly just making the rounds...
- Imma Be (The Black Eyed Peas)
- Amber had this album last summer, when we first started going out.
- Around The Bend (The Asteroids Galaxy Tour)
- I think Kjersten had this, but they used it in an iPod touch ad
- Sugalumps (Flight of the Conchords)
- Miller introduced to me this song.
- Too Many Dicks (Flight of The Conchords)
- Again, thanks Miller.
- Wonder Woman Theme-'E' Candy's (Radio Edit) (Carol Medina)
- Amber has a thing for Wonder Woman, so I tried to find the best remix I could.
Really, no idea:
- Get The Party Started (Shirley Bassey)
- I previously posted this great Bond-ian cover
- Sexx Laws (Beck)
- This came up on Pandora when Amber and I were assembling IKEA bookshelves.
- Hot N Cold (Katy Perry)
- Heh, it was the too hot for Sesame Street duet with elmo that got me to find the original.
- White Knuckles (Ok Go)
- Already posted this. Love these minimalistic, smart, fun videos.
- Cupid Shuffle (Cupid)
- They were playing this in the afternoon at the Atlantic City boardwalk. Catchy!
- F*** You [Explicit] (Cee Lo Green)
- NSFW, but such bitter clever soul. The only one I ranked 5 stars this month.
- New York City (LP Version) (They Might Be Giants)
- Everybody (Radio Edit) (Rudenko)
- Shut Up and Drive (Rihanna)
- Dancing With Myself (Single Version) (The Donnas)
- Ain't No Other Man (Christina Aguilera)
- This one made it on my "psyched" playlist I use for non-distracting energy at work.
- Survivor (Remix featuring Da Brat Extended Version)
- God Is A DJ [Explicit] (P!nk)
- Summer Girls (Lyte Funkie Ones)
- I have nothing more to say about this one.